We are passionate about solving customer and industry problems to help create a better world. It guides our thinking and inspires our work.
We have been experts in engineering since 1862 but we are always looking to the future – innovating to identify how our people, products and processes can respond to the impact of long-term global trends such as climate change, urbanisation, resource scarcity and an ageing population.
We create and grow great businesses. We attract and develop diverse, high performing teams. And we grow meaningful relationships with our customers and communities – because together we can create a better world.
Jackie Hu – Divisional Managing Director
We are proud to be industry leaders in what we do and want to create a better world for our people, our customers, and our communities.
IMI plc has:
Working with IMI Critical Engineering gives you access to the support and stability of a well-established brand, with the expertise to succeed. We have the experience to help scale and develop products that have been created to address today’s challenges.
Our products change industry perceptions of what is possible. In 1967, we invented the world’s first multi-stage control valve with DRAG® technology.
We have continued to push boundaries, continually creating new technologies such as the recent success of Retrofit3D, a unique engineered trim solution to replace obsolete valves.
This unique innovation is thanks to our expert team who we empower to experiment, with a dedicated innovation hub that supports the facilitation of new partnerships and collaborations with other companies.
Working with IMI Critical Engineering brings the benefits of a world-renowned engineering brand with the experience of developing new offerings. Our senior leadership team, sector leaders, and teams of dedicated employees are looking to partner with companies to co-create new ideas and emerging technologies that can change the world around us. We also offer the chance to scale up existing technologies, with the design and operational expertise of a global engineering company, and teams of talented specialists. We are ready to invest and bring companies into the IMI family, helping to nurture and grow them to their full potential.
Key Market Sectors
Find out more about the key market sectors we operate within and our dedicated sector leads working to support a range of businesses in that area.
- Improving the efficiency of electrolysis
- Utilising hydrogen and ammonia as fuel for industrial use and transportation
- Exploring carbon capture and utilisation
- Investigating how to effective and safely store and transport hydrogen with different carrier technologies
Richard Yu, Hydrogen Sector Leader
- Richard has been with IMI since 2008 and has worked within the flow control industry since 2002
- His management roles have included business development and interim managing director
- Richard’s current role at IMI Critical Engineering is to drive the innovation in hydrogen value chain
- He is passionate about finding new solutions to solve industrial challenges in hydrogen value chain together with all stakeholders
- Bringing our heritage as a global expert in solving customers’ technical problems to new pharmaceutical and life-science opportunities
- Designing and manufacturing highly specified and IP protected sanitary flow control solutions, engineered to minimise contamination, prevent clogging problems, and substantially reduce production downtime
- Creating products that are utilising clean-in-place technology and designed to allow the sampling of media, as well as saving space
- Continually striving to create safer, more efficient technology solutions to improve safety and efficiency within this highly regulated space
- Creating a wide range of products and components such as manifolds for keyhole surgery or revolutionary respiratory flow control valves used in life-saving ventilators
Simon Collis, Pharma and Life-Sciences Sector Leader
- Simon has been working within the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors for over 20 years, including senior strategic leadership and global Business Development and Commercial roles across multiple companies
- He has experience of working with all sizes of companies, from big pharma to small equity backed start-ups
- At IMI, Simon leads the Business Development and M&A activity for Critical Engineering, to drive organic and in-organic growth in the pharma and life-science sector
- Developing new spaces beyond valves in technologies that can help to bring a more sustainable future
- Focus on areas such as decarbonisation, the energy transition and the circular economy – topics covered include carbon capture, battery storage, synthetic fuels or plastic recycling
- Helping customers to scale through our strengths in customised production for industrial applications, engineer to order capabilities and complex project-based sales
Maximilian Wuelfing, Downstream (Oil and Gas) Sector Leader
- Maximilian has been with IMI since 2004 and has a professional background in consulting and M&A
- His experience lies within commercial business development, sales, and finance
- Maximilian is focused on building diverse teams to find and solve relevant customer problems – developing our contribution to the energy transition and road to net zero
- He is passionate about new technologies and industry disrupting innovations and ideas
- Finding new ways to address maritime decarbonisation
- Studying the options for cleaner, lower carbon fuels
- Investigating the processes of biofouling and corrosion, as biofouling can reduce a ship’s fuel efficiency by 20%
Rob Watson, Marine Sector Leader
- Rob has been with IMI Critical Engineering since 1988, working for IMI Truflo Marine as Quality Manager and Technical Director
- He has worked to build relationships with ship and submarine builders around the world, thanks to our reputation for high integrity products
- Rob is passionate about the marine sector, having begun his career as a Marine Engineer Officer apprentice, working on ships carrying LPG around the world
- His greatest achievement is going to sea on board a Walrus class submarine as a guest of the Dutch Navy, an incredibly rare feat for a civilian!
Please fill out the form below to contact one of our sector leaders.